Updated: Dec 17, 2021
Warming and nourishing like a hug in a bowl. Perfect for the cooler months with warming traditional herbs. Did you know? If you have a cold or flu, chicken soup is PERFECT to reduce sickness duration. It contains sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium needed for hydration; Vitamin C and Zinc to support immune cells; anti-inflammatory to help with congestion; and raises body temperature to kill bacteria and viruses. Neat huh?!
Approx 6 serves Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, or frozen up to 2 weeks.
1 organic, hormone and antibiotic free chicken, washed well
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 bunch celery, washed and chopped with leaves
2 large zucchini, washed and chopped 1 medium sweet potato/ white potato, washed and chopped (optional) 1 knob ginger, sliced 1 Tbsp Turmeric
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed (or garlic infused olive oil if low FODMAP) 1 Tbsp Cobram Olive oil/ ghee (or garlic infused olive oil if low FODMAP) 1 medium brown onion, chopped (or green part of spring onion if low FODMAP)
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1-2 Tbsp dried or fresh thyme, oregano
1 bunch parsley, washed and chopped (add last)
Herbamare sea salt, to taste
Filtered water POT METHOD 1. In a large soup pot on medium heat, cook onion and turmeric powder in olive oil until brown
2. Place chicken breastside down into pot and turn on high heat to brown for 5 min. Flip over on other side and stir onions. 3.Add carrot, celery, zucchini, sweet potato/ potato and filtered water to cover everything. 4.Add Apple Cider Vinegar, ginger, and garlic.
5. Bring to boil and cook on medium-high heat for 60 minutes or until chicken falls off the bone. Add salt to taste.
6. Add fresh parsley before serving.
PRESSURE COOKER (quick version) 1. Add everything into pressure cooker and cover with filtered water
2. Cook in pressure cooker on high for 60min (with valve closed) or until chicken cooked through
3. Add fresh parsley before serving.
PRESSURE COOKER (for more flavour) Heat oil in pressure cooker pot and brown skin on chicken before adding all ingredients and water.